Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cyberbullying

Cyberbullying is use of technology (cell phones, email, social networking sites, blogs, instant messages, etc.) to deliberately insult, harass, intimidate, threaten, or cause emotional harm or damage to a person and/or his/her reputation. Although I’ve heard of instances of cyberbullying, I do not have personal experience as a victim or perpetrator.

Cyberbullying is difficult to stop because it is difficult to monitor. It can take place anytime and from anywhere. Perpetrators can remain anonymous by hiding behind a screenname. Cyberbullying is also difficult to stop because of the legal gray area; schools risk being sued for exceeding their authority and violating the students’ right to free speech.

There may be ways to tell a student is being cyberbullied. A drop in academic performance or an increase in tardies and absences may be signs of cyberbullying. Victims may also be visually upset, angry, anxious, or depressed. Cyberbullying affects the learning environment; therefore, I believe schools should do everything they can to prevent and regulate cyberbullying, regardless of where it takes place.

I'm going to do my best to prevent cyberbullying in my classroom. Because I'll be incorporating technology in my teaching, I'm going to establish clear rules and emphasize respect and appropriate online communication. If cyberbullying does take place, I'll react quickly and appropriately to prevent the problem from escalating. Though I'd address the problem individually, I'd want the class (and possibly the school) to be aware of the seriousness of cyberbullying.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with addressing the problem both on an individual and community level. While the personal details of an event are private, I think it's important for everyone to be on the same page with what is acceptable and what is not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this issue needs to be addressed to a whole school. Students don't always know how serious this can be till it happens to them. Students need to be aware of what their actions hold. I hate how the gray area of a schools rights are so vast because cyberbullying can be happening and the school can so nothing about it within rights and laws of the individual student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Jayne Lee, even if they are not directly affected by cyberbullying everyone in the whole school should be made aware of how serious an issue cyberbullying is. As a teacher at a high school, I see students deal with cyberbullying on a regular basis. One great resource that I came across for students dealing with cyberbullying is http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-ib. I hope this is helpful!

      Delete