Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cell Phones

I’m excited to integrate technology into the classroom. However, when it comes to using cell phones, I’m hesitant, primarily because of cost. “Currently a basic cell phone has the ability to be the students’ ‘Swiss Army knife’ of technology,” but in order to utilize its more useful features (Internet, etc.), students need more than a basic cell phone plan.

Cell phones and cell phone plans cost money; not all students can afford them, and I don’t think schools should purchase student cell phones. Any money that would be spent on cell phones would be “better utilized for other technology purchases.”

I do see the potential of using cell phones in the classroom, but what do we do in situations where students don’t have cell phones or can’t afford to upgrade cell phone plans? How do we involve these students without drawing attention to the fact that they're part of the ‘have-nots’?

1 comment:

  1. You make some great observations here Steven, cell phones can be a detriment to learning. There are some iphones, however, that can be used to retrieve facts instantaneously. I think you ask some poignant questions about kids who cannot afford cellphones. I would have to agree that I don't think schools purchasing cell phones is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete